A church without walls, creating a visible sign of Christs presence in our urban community and beyond
Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.
years of community in Christ
A small group of Methodists met at the home of Mrs. Elizabeth Carter. This became the Wesley Chapel Society, later the Chouteau Avenue Methodist Church.
The church moved to the northeast corner of Eighth Street and Chouteau Avenue. The church was destroyed by a storm while under construction but was rebuilt and dedicated in 1850. The building was replaced by a larger building in 1873, at which time the name was changed to Chouteau Avenue Methodist Church South.
Easter Sunday found the congregation marching from the Chouteau location to their new home at 2300 Lafayette. At this time the congregation adopted the new name Lafayette Park Methodist Church.
The church was unroofed and badly damaged by the tornado in 1896 and services were temporarily held in the Y.M.C.A. and later in the rebuilt chapel. The present stone church, fronting on Lafayette Avenue, was completed in 1900 after designs by architect Theodore C. Link.
The sanctuary features a glowing theater style octagonal interior with four balconies, an inclined seating design, cherry pews, a center isle, and lovely stained glass windows.
The Kilgen pipe organ built and installed in the church.
The basement was dug out resulting in a Fellowship Hall, kitchen, meeting rooms, preschool room and a bowling alley.
Lafayette Park United Methodist Church commits itself to being a caring and diverse church in our worship, prayer, and action by supporting the Reconciling Ministries Network. In January 1998, the LPUMC Church Council adopts the following language:
As a people of faith, we recognize the diversity of people created in the image of God. We welcome to this congregation people of any age, gender, race, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, health status and any element of humanity created by God.