Let the favor of the Lord our God be upon us
and prosper for us the work of our hands—
O prosper the work of our hands!
Choir Director, Part Time
Lafayette Park UMC is an inclusive, diverse, and mission /justice focused congregation. Lafayette Park United Methodist Church is seeking a part-time Choir Director. The Choir Director will plan for, select and direct music for worship services. They will collaborate with the pianist, worship committee and pastor, and establish opportunities for other music related activities within the church.
Role/Areas of Responsibility
- In cooperation with the Pastor and in communication with the worship committee, plan, implement, and direct the choir for worship services throughout the choir year which may include special services (lent, Christmas eve, etc.).
- Supplement and strengthen the worship experience (lead special call to worships, lord’s prayer, etc.)
- Collaborate with the pianist and Pastor and inform the secretary of changes made to order of worship, special music, scheduling, and any other music and worship matters for the bulletin.
- Communicate with guest pastors and special speakers about themes, Scripture, message title, technology capabilities, and assist them in using those capabilities if/when necessary.
- Schedule music for all services during the choir year which is typically Sept. – Pentecost.
- Direct and grow the Adult Choir – possible performances on a seasonal basis. Schedule and lead rehearsal and performances.
- Collaborate with the Pastor, in creating seasonal worship service themes. Partner with the “Music Librarian” for the church – purchase, file, catalogue, and supervise the lending out of all church music.
- In cooperation with the Christian Education Team assist with the musical portion of the Children’s Christmas Program.
- If/when applicable: Recommend, purchase of new musical instruments or audio equipment.
- Give leadership to congregational singing at worship services – encourage and inspire enthusiastic music and singing. Prepare or organize a Music Sunday the 5th Sunday of the month.
- The Choir Director shall work under the supervision of the Pastor, in cooperation with the pianist and Worship Committee, with ultimate accountability to the Church council.
- The Choir Director shall meet regularly with the Lead Pastor for planning and prayer.
- The Choir Director is expected to be on time to church and choir practice on Sunday mornings. Flexibility will be given, in communication with the Lead Pastor, regarding vacation time.
- The Choir Director shall meet with the Worship Committee and Pastor for performance review after three months, then six months, and one year. After that first year, annual performance reviews will be done through the Pastor.
- Vocal experience necessary/required (able to lead both traditional and contemporary songs in worship confidently)
- 2-3 years music experience necessary
- Guitar and/or other instrumental experience preferred but not required
- Preferred 2 years minimum experience in worship or religious background
Please contact Rev. Kathleen Wilder with a résumé and letter of interest: