Our church is proud to mark the centennial of women’s right to vote with the purple, gold and white yard sign, the colors of the suffrage movement, located in the front lawn of our building. After a 70-year battle, Secretary of State Bainbridge Colby certified the 19th Amendment on August 26, 1920. By acknowledging this milestone in American history, we honor the women of our congregation and our community for their contribution to the strength of our democracy. This signage was provided by the League of Women Voters of Metro St. Louis, founded in November 1919 to educate and empower voters.
Other local centennial commemorations include:
- The St. Louis Wheel using purple, gold and white lights (suffrage colors) on the evening of August 26th
- The Missouri Botanical Garden designating a yellow rose in the Gladney Rose Garden near the entrance as the “Suffrage Rose”
- Several area churches ringing bells at noon on Aug. 26 in honor of women voters
- The Missouri History Museum’s Beyond the Ballot exhibit (by appointment)