A Little History:
1839 - A small group of Methodists met at the home of Mrs. Elizabeth Carter. This became the Wesley Chapel Society, later the Chouteau Avenue Methodist Church.
1848 - The church moved to the northeast corner of Eighth Street and Chouteau Avenue. The church was destroyed by a storm while under construction but was rebuilt and dedicated in 1850. The building was replaced by a larger building in 1873, at which time the name was changed to Chouteau Avenue Methodist Church South.
1888 - Easter Sunday found the congregation marching from the Chouteau location to their new home at 2300 Lafayette. At this time the congregation adopted the new name Lafayette Park Methodist Church.
1896 - The church was unroofed and badly damaged by the tornado in 1896 and services were temporarily held in the Y.M.C.A. and later in the rebuilt chapel. The present stone church, fronting on Lafayette Avenue, was completed in 1900 after designs by architect Theodore C. Link.
1950's - The basement was dug out resulting in a Fellowship Hall, kitchen, meeting rooms, preschool room and a bowling alley.
The sanctuary features a glowing theater style octagonal interior with four balconies, an inclined seating design, cherry pews, a center isle, and lovely stained glass windows. At the front is the beautiful Kilgen pipe organ built in 1901, which was rebuilt in 1945 and restored in 1999.